By far, our most-asked question about the live show goes something like this:
“I’ve read your book/watched your DVDs. I love the way you put together a set list for a 45-60 minute show… but here’s what I need help with. You see, I do a _______ (90 minute show, 20 minute opener, 4 hours of club sets, 2 hours of background music, etc., etc.)”
And my assistant Jodi gives a quick, short answer via email.
But the artists asking really want (and need) more than a quick answer. They need to understand why the set list should be designed a certain way for specific situations. They need to know what will really suit their audience and genre. They need to know how the songs they play can fit into the set list they’re putting together. And on and on.
In my book I’ve answered those questions (Chapter 7, Shorter or Longer Sets). And that helps quite a bit. But even then, the questions we get often require a more personal answer.
That’s Reason #6 for getting a Backstage Pass: You can ask questions about your show and get personal answers from our team!
In the last month, we’ve answered questions Backstage such as:
- “We do roots covers, but I am having a hard time pegging down a good intro tune – thoughts?”
- “How do you transition from your introductory story to the actual playing of the song?”
- “How do you know when you have finally made a moment memorable?”
- “Any suggestions on how to avoid coming across rude if you wish to be by yourself before a show?”
Having you join us Backstage has less to do with me selling you something than me trying to help you in the most efficient way I know how! In the last 4 weeks, I’ve been home for less than 25% of the time (half of that time being out of the country), and I’ve worked all but a few of those days. In the next 2 months I’ll be traveling to 6 cities to teach, plus I’ll be working with artists in between those travel dates.
But the Backstage Pass lets me and my team reach a lot more artists with personal help than we ever could by traveling to work with all of you! It just makes sense to do it this way.
Oh, and if you were wondering what the first 5 reasons are to get a Backstage Pass, here they are:
1) Watch video content not available anywhere else (not even on my DVDs)
2) Read articles not available anywhere else (to help you with your music career)
3) Get deals like free downloads and $$ off our resources and Bootcamps
4) Be featured in a Spotlight article and in our email that goes to over 10,000 artists & industry
5) Network with other artists as you share your stories, comments, & questions